{First Time in Hijab}

For most of my public school years, I was the only one in my school who wore the hijab (until my younger sister started). The first time I wore hijab to school was when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. My mother made a skirt for me and a little square scarf from the leftover fabric. It was a cute little outfit: the skirt and scarf were blue with little yellow squares (or something) on them and she bought me a pale yellow button-down shirt to wear as well.

Alhamdulillah, my mother sews very well and I had worn her clothing to school before. But this time was different because she actually wanted me to wear a headscarf so that I could get a little experience wearing it in public. I was so embarrassed that first day. In fact that is honestly the ONLY time in my life that I ever felt out of place due to my hijab.

I remember crying all the way to school and then standing outside of my classroom not wanting to go in. I don't even know how I eventually got inside the class, but once I got in, everything was fine and there was no teasing or anything, Alhamdulillah.

What was your first experience in hijab like?